PH.D-LABORATORY RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Under supervision and direction from the Director/Chief of Diagnostics and Development, conducts specialized, professional scientific and technical research experiments of analyses to evaluate analytical methodologies and procedures for enhancing the diagnostic capability of laboratories; makes independent decisions concerning the evaluation of these methodologies and procedures. With direction from the Director/Chief and/or Medical/CLIA Director, and Quality Management Section (QMS) assures the implementation of new, approved methodologies and procedures into existing laboratory methods and laboratory quality assurance programs.
Description of Duties
1. Evaluates and adapts new procedures and protocols to incorporate same into existing laboratory procedures.
2. Trains and instructs professional laboratory personnel in new testing methods
3. Develops and implements state-of-the-art testing procedures such as real time Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) for detection of viruses and bacteria, and deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequencing.
4. Develops/revises standard operating procedures (SOPs) for use in laboratory.
5. Conducts internal audits of the Laboratory’s Quality Assurance procedures/policies and prepares comprehensive laboratory inspection reports.
6. Maintains accurate records of experiments, data, and result analysis.
7. Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties indicated above.
Education and Experience
Required Education: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Virology, or a related field from an accredited university with demonstrated experience in PCR, primer/probe development, sequencing, sequence analysis, and mass spectrometry.
Preferred Experience: Research and Development (R&D) experience in a clinical lab setting for assay development is highly preferred.
Skills and Abilities
• Requires extensive knowledge of the laboratory sciences.
• Requires working knowledge of computers and the computer software programs designed to support the implementation and use of state-of-the art laboratory procedures and methodologies..
• Requires ability to conduct responsible, independent basic and applied laboratory research and to apply the results obtained to upgrade the analytical capability of laboratories.
• Requires ability to attain effective working relationships with Laboratory management/staff..
• Requires ability to maintain accurate laboratory records and prepare activity reports.